Sunday, May 5, 2019

Tintin in Tibet


The language in Tintin is really funny to me. An expression used multiple times to express surprise was “billions of blue blistering barnacles!” All of the dialogue is very proper, I’m guessing as a manifestation of the time it was written? I enjoy the squared off panels fitted very well onto the page and the colorful art. The art style reminds me of everything that I’ve looked at from cartoons in the 20’s and 30’s, especially with how the faces are drawn; dotted eyes, simple features, over exaggerated arched eyebrows. What’s really nice about Tintin to me (and I can only speak for this one comic I read) is how pure and wholesome it is. Tintin is just trying to save his friend, the negative emotions are even lightened, like anger and how they could be rescuing someone who died, but you aren’t really lead to believe that he’s actually dead. The dog is always saved, Captain and Tintin are always saved, the end up saving Chang. What’s classic is how Captain is always getting the short end of the stick. The poor guy gets run around by a cow/bull, gets stuff in his eyes, eats a pepper thinking it’s a fruit, crosses a bridge successfully only to find out he crossed the wrong bridge, gets caught in a small avalanche. Captain is the added humor to the story, an element that is still used today, like Groot in the marvel movies. He doesn’t really have a point, and most of his screen time is for laughs.

No comments:

Post a Comment